Gere apologizes to Indians for an obscene act

Richard Gere, who provoked a hullabaloo in India by kissing Celebrity Big Brother winner Shilpa Shetty at an AIDS awareness rally in early April this year, has finally apologized for his obscene act.

Initially, Gere was disagreeing from the whole thing and he refused to say sorry. But now, he’s singing a new tune. Richard Gere offered an apology to India because Shilpa, Gere kiss sparked protests in India.

Gere asserted:

What is most important to me is that my intentions as an HIV/AIDS advocate be
made clear, and that my friends in India understand that it has never been, nor
could it ever be, my intention to offend you.”If that has happened, of course it
is easy for me to offer a sincere apology

Jaipur court also called it “an obscene act” when a local lawyer filed a complaint.

I think Gere did smart work by apologizing to Indians because under Indian law, a person convicted of public obscenity faces up to three months in prison, a fine or both.

Here’s a video of the incident


0 comments: